Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Delayed ... for now

As much as I wanted to have my surgery on Jan. 10, I have ended up having to change the date.
First, I greatly disappointed myself over Christmas by going on a binge ... something that the surgeon had strictly forbidden. When you eat sugary and fatty foods, you run the risk of swelling your liver. Dr. O'Rourke had explained that every patient comes in with a fatty liver, so the ideal is to lose weight and shrink it.
Rather than lose over Christmas, I gained.
That was part one. Part two is that my thyroid test came back low ... and had been so for a while, it would seem. This is the reason my energy level, which had been running high until about a month or so ago, has been in the toilet.
Finally, I made a decision: I need to be strong both mentally and physically for the challenge ahead. So today, I reluctantly made the call to OHSU to reschedule my surgery. I don't have another date at this point as the surgery scheduler is still off for the holiday, but I am going to see if I can be slotted in for the end of February.
This will also take a lot of pressure off in regard to work. As it was, I was going to be rigidly kept to a two-week recovery period because of a co-workers vacation plans (which I certainly didn't begrudge her). If I can get in at the end of February, then that will give me a month-long window of time if I need it. I doubt I will need it, but it takes a lot of the pressure off.
In one way, I feel really badly about this. Mainly because I feel like I let not only myself down, but a lot of others. Then I realize: I can't let what others think about my decision affect me. I have to do what is right for my body and my health. So ...  February it is.
In the meanwhile, I am back on my protein concentration diet, carefully metering out the carbs. By the time my new date rolls around, I should be back to feeling strong and healthy once again, ready to meet this next challenge.
I just keep thinking ... this race isn't a sprint ... it's a marathon.

5 comments:

  1. You got it right Brenda...you need to do whats best for YOU and if others don't like it, then they can go have the surgery done on themselves! This is YOUR life and YOUR body! Your not letting yourself (or anyone else) down, since you are still having it done! I've got your back 100%! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Brenda !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made a smart decision. Don't feel guilty over binging... that's behind you now. You will get those pounds off and more and be ready to go full speed ahead. You've been doing great and will continue to do so. Most of us have started dieting again (Jan 1 is my target day)so will be working hard right along with you trying to get those extra pounds off and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda,

    Just putting yourself out there is amazingly courageous! Not sure I could do that, not like you are. Kudos to you my friend for not only owning up to what led to your decision to postpone, but to be thinking of yourself! You are doing what needs to be done for you, nobody can look out for yourself the way you do and now a days... it is too easy to put ourselves on the backburner taking care of everyone else! I am oh so guilty of that one!

    Do not hang your head my friend, you should hold it up high and be proud of yourself. You made the right decision for the right reasons. It does not get any more "right" than that!

    I too packed on a few pounds over the holiday and I will be hitting it hard come the first. Perhaps I should blog with you..... hmmmm. Nahhhhh. I will just do my confessing with you!

    Heads up and cheer up my friend! New year, new US! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shouldn't feel bad I think that you made the right choice, watching a friend of mine go through that same surgery I know that you need to be healthy on the inside and out, so to speak... So keep your chin up a new date will be here before you know it

    ReplyDelete