Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Water, water everywhere ...

While talking to a friend the other day about her niece, who had gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 2, I realized what my biggest fear is regarding this surgery.
I am not afraid of the complications that could occur during surgery. The notion of leaks and my liver cracking in the middle of the three-hour operation don't worry me as much as the aftermath and the battle of wills that is going to take place with me, myself and I.
This friend's niece was thirsty after the operation. But immediately following the surgery, you are only allowed 30 cc's of fluid (of course, you are on an IV, but that dry mouth issue can't be solved by a tube in the vein).
I am ... a gulper. I love water, dosed with Crystal Light or the generic equivalent. When I exercise, I drink it like it's going out of style. I love the taste of it in my mouth and the feeling of it sliding down my throat.
My new life will consist of sip, sip, sip. A mouthful at a time, taking care not to stretch the egg-sized pouch that will be my "new" stomach. That is what scares me the most.
I can handle the hunger and the pain. But thirst ... that's quite another story. I think it's time to get my mind in gear and start sipping. Maybe if I can train myself in advance, the day of reckoning won't come as much of a shock.
On a lighter note, the other day while Christmas shopping, I bought two cotton sleep sets at J.C. Penney. They were on clearance and cost $12.50 altogether. Now ... that wasn't the thrilling part.
I have always been larger in my top than my bottom. I bought this in a size XL (I wear a 3X or larger in my top). I almost rejected the set outright, then realized: I can wear the bottoms now ... and the top further down the line. Something to look forward to :)
I guess in the scope of things, water and size XL clothing don't seem that important. But to me ... they are what I have to hold onto. That and freedom from diabetes. Good things come to those who wait ... 

1 comment:

  1. I would be jumping up and down for an XL! Enjoy it all Brenda ! Soon you may very well be looking at a Medium ! I am so happy for you !!!!

    ReplyDelete