Friday, February 10, 2012

Down to the wire

Today, it is officially 18 days until my surgery. Am I nervous? Uh ... yeah.
It seems like the last year has gone like lightning. From the moment that I determined that I was going to try and have surgery (at one time, even considering the notion of lap band surgery, which I now realize that for me would not have worked at all) to this point, things have moved quickly. Even though there has been a lot of "hurry up and wait," some of it has been of my own making.
Things only recently have begun to feel really ... real. My last visit with Dr. O'Rourke, the surgeon, sealed it for me. He wants me to lose more weight before the surgery, but has no intention of putting it off any further. So ... it's a go.
Last night, I took the one step that I had been dreading --- ordering protein products. As one of my fellow gastric-bypassers (I'm going to start calling us GB'ers) told me, the miserable part isn't the surgery so much, but the protein shakes.
I visited the website of Unjury (a very weird name ... yes), a company that produces protein items for people who have had surgery, diabetics or those who are just looking to lose weigh. I ended up ordering a container of vanilla shake mix (which somehow seems less intimidating than the chocolate or strawberry), a container of "chicken soup" and a starter pack, which has samples of the other flavors of shakes, etc.
This should seem simple, but with all I've read and heard, the notion of making this commitment was rather off-putting. Other GB'ers have said that their tastes changed after the surgery. A friend of mine who had the surgery roughly three weeks ago said that he was only able to take in small amounts of protein and fluid. A couple of sips, and it felt like he'd eaten a Thanksgiving meal. Plus, the shakes had become nearly intolerable.
The flipside is that he is dropping weight fast. Of course, on roughly 500 calories a day, a person will do that. Ideally, 1,200 is a good calorie amount for weight loss, but if you can't stuff it in, you're sort of stuck.
I still find it hard to wrap my head around this notion. Then again, I'm almost a walking stomach. Feed me, Seymour ... feed me.

When these niggling thoughts crowd into my head, I always have to stop and remind myself that this is going to be life-changing on many levels. The biggest one is my health.
A recent flareup of tendonitis proved that to me. I sat in the chair this morning at Longview Orthopedics while the talented Dr. Lauder administered a cortisone shot to my left wrist. My hand had become nearly unusable from pain, which had spread from my thumb to my shoulder. I told the doc that I was having surgery at the end of the month. I asked him if it would help the tendonitis if I lost weight.
He said that weight loss helps "nearly ever system in your body." 
I believe him. As the days wind down, I'm sure my case of nerves will get a little worse. But the upside of this experience will far outweigh the downside ... no pun intended :)

4 comments:

  1. Brenda, I just read your column in TDN and enjoyed it very much. I look forward to your sharing of your journey and will be reading your blog. I, too, need to lose probably 70 lbs but am doing it the slow way. I have had HBP for the last 10+ years and Dr. is watching my blood levels. At 56, I have to do something. Unlike you, I was a skinny underfed kid, always hungery. I didn't begin gaining weight until I became married, happy and learned how to cook. I wish you well, sending you calming and healing thoughts. FWIW, I think you are doing the right thing. Good luck and God bless!

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. Good luck on your journey as well. And may God bless you as you go along!
      ~~ Brenda

      Delete
  2. Brenda--I was very moved by your story in today's newspaper. Thank you for having the courage to share your journey so honestly. I have been a long time fan of your columns, and now will be eagerly following your story and cheering you on from the sidelines.

    Many blessings to you!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. I always hope that people will relate to what I write. It's wonderful to know that you are out there, cheering me on.

      Blessings to you, as well!

      Brenda

      Delete